When planning your wedding, there will be a number of people from out of town that you will want to be there. However, it’s important to recognize the inconvenience of travel for these guests and try to accommodate this to the best of your ability. There is a certain etiquette that is expected when someone makes a distant trip in order to be a part of your nuptials, so don’t overlook these dedicated guests! At Crenshaw Guest House, we have seen numerous weddings and have played host to the loved ones of many brides and grooms-to-be. For this reason, we know what is expected of you by these guests, and the best way to give them a fulfilling weekend when your day comes.
Best Ways to Entertain Out of Town Wedding Guests
- Rehearsal Dinner Reception- Not everyone can attend the rehearsal dinner, we understand- but it’s a good idea to have a reception following the dinner for all the guest s. It doesn’t have to be extravagant- just some appetizers should suffice. However, this is a wonderful idea so that guests from out of town have the chance to socialize and catch up with family and friends even if they aren’t invited to the rehearsal dinner.
- Be aware of costs- Attending an out of town wedding can be pricey, so try to be forgiving with your events. Try to find affordable lodging, and have events at affordable locations. Amongst friends and family, a cook out or outdoor gathering is preferable to going out to dinner anyways, so try to have an inexpensive BBQ if you decide to entertain your guests in the days prior to your wedding. For example, if you decided to have a breakfast or rehearsal dinner reception, it would be a good idea to utilize lodging or a venue that will allow you to have these events at low cost.
- Consider lodging- Make sure that the lodging is affordable and nice. You could suggest to your guests any old hotel, but the setup of hotels is not exactly conducive to gathering. The last thing you want is for your guests to be twiddling their thumbs in their hotel rooms, so make sure to pick place that will stimulate socializing and peace- try an inn or a bed and breakfast. The charm and ease of lodgings such as these provides an enjoyable experience for all.
- Have a breakfast following your wedding day- Setting up a breakfast for the remaining guests the day after your wedding is a wonderful wrap up to the weekend. Even though you and your spouse will be long gone, it’s nice to have one last event that allows everyone to come together and enjoy each other’s company.
- Make time for them- The most important thing when inviting guests from out of town is making sure that you set aside adequate time to speak with them. Simply a passing “hello” on your wedding day won’t cut it- make sure that you are able to speak with them and thank them for coming. Also make sure to have events and activities readily available to them- even if you can’t spend a lot of time with them personally that weekend, you can still make sure that they are entertained.
It can be expensive and inconvenient to travel out of town for a wedding. For this reason, it’s important to give everyone a full experience if you want optimal happiness. If you incorporate some of the ideas on this list into your plans, you are sure to have a successful event with a very happy crowd. And if you’re in the Auburn, AL area- make sure to check out the Crenshaw Guest House. If someone in your party is staying with us, we’ll let you host events here for free!
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.