When having an outdoor wedding, there are certain considerations that must be kept in mind. This can cause you to take a different approach to decorating than you would with an indoor wedding venue. Looking for some fresh ideas? Here at the Crenshaw Guest House we have held a wide variety of elegant and memorable outdoor weddings in Auburn AL, and have prepared a list of our favorite outdoor décor to inspire you in your own wedding planning.
Top 10 Decorating Tips for an Outdoor Wedding:
- Lighting is essential. Your choice in light fixtures can add to an ethereal ambiance if you choose them right. A chandelier hanging from a tree or on the alter can incorporate a twist of elegance and class into an outdoor event. Paperand Chinese lanterns are also a classic addition that will add to the romantic atmosphere. You could also try candles- we recommend that you put them in mason jars for a truly remarkable effect. The last addition that your outdoor wedding shouldn’t be without is twinkle lights. Outdoor venues allow you the liberty to create some amazing displays utilizing twinkle lights and the surrounding nature.
- Choose linens wisely. Make sure that your linens uphold the theme of your wedding. If you’re going for a rustic atmosphere, choose a material such as burlap or lace to accent your wedding. Or perhaps make a bold choice and have your linens reflect your style with bright colors. If bold isn’t your taste, you can’t go wrong with classic white linens, which can be set off beautifully with the right lighting and floral accents.
- Floral Arrangements. A huge part of the outdoor venue charm is taking advantage of the natural beauty available to you. Why not add to this natural beauty? Having abundant floral arrangements is something that makes outdoor weddings truly special. Use them to line the aisle, adorn centerpieces, and create beautiful displays. Go with bright, natural looking displays that will support the open-air atmosphere.
- Personal Touches- One trend in outdoor wedding décor is the use of chalkboards. A cheap (but if done right, impressive) decoration, you can use a chalkboard to direct guests where to sit, to display a cute quote or rhyme that relates to your relationship, or an Instagram hash tag you would like people to use so that you may easily locate pictures the next day. Another DIY project you can take on is making a sign post with arrows pointing towards key places such as the bathroom, the reception, the exit, etc.
- Centerpieces- For an outdoor wedding, the centerpieces should be amazing. Words that come to mind are extravagant, luscious and bountiful. Bright and beautiful floral displays should overflow from the tables. Incorporate lighting (perhaps a twinkle lights or an electric candle) so that guests are able to see each other once the light dims.
- The Alter- When having an outdoor ceremony, the alter is the focal point of the event. This allows you to get creative! Sheer fabrics with twinkle lights wrapped underneath is a simply and beautiful look. However, hanging vibrant linens with flowers intertwined has just as positive an impact. Or perhaps you’d like a country look, and bedeck the alter with branches and wildflowers. No matter which way you go with it, the alter is a significant decorating opportunity that you won’t want to overlook.
- Utilize Surroundings- When having an outdoor wedding, the decorating options are endless as the natural surroundings add their own beauty to the mix! Make sure to utilize your canvas well and adorn the surrounding nature with your own personal touch. For example, a tree can create ample opportunity for creativity. Hang old-fashioned picture frames with pictures of you and your significant other, tie ribbon to the branches for an almost mystical effect, and hang lights and lanterns from the trees. It is also important to acknowledge your surroundings. Weather happens- so consider having a back-up tent to guard against a rainy affair. Tents can save an outdoor wedding reception from harsh weather conditions while remaining beautiful to look at.
- Food Options- With outdoor weddings, you have to properly utilize the open space available to you. For this reason, spread out food stations are great ideas to keep traffic flowing. This also gives you a number of unique decorating options! You can set up a series of small carts or tables and decorate each differently, but still in theme with your wedding. Some examples of food stations you could provide includes a baked potato station, a fondue station, a cupcake station, or even a Bloody Mary bar! Reflect your own tastes within your food choices and enjoy the several opportunities you will have to express yourself.
- The Aisle- The aisle acts as the road that leads to your significant other- so you’ll want it to be special! For an outdoor wedding, you have several options. If you’re going for a rustic atmosphere, you could lay down burlap- or not lay down anything at all. Some of the most beautiful ceremonies are ones in which flower petals alone are used to decorate the aisle itself: the simplicity adds to the natural comfort of the ceremony. Another idea is using wall paper as an aisle- it sticks to the ground, can be found in a variety of colors and patterns, and is easily removed. Consider lining the aisle with candles or flowers (or both!).
- Colors- With an outdoor wedding, Mother Nature cannot be ignored. For this reason, when picking out your wedding colors, try and incorporate the time of year into your decision. In the spring, try pastels and light tones such as mint or coral. In the summer, go for brighter colors: neon accents, rich jewel tones, and fresh whites. For the winter, you’ll want to take a look at metallic accents and colors that shimmer. And at last, the fall is time for earth tones.
As you can see, outdoor wedding present a variety of decorating opportunities. No matter how you want to theme your wedding, you will have no trouble finding decorations that will set off your venue to its full advantage. And if you’re looking for a venue in Alabama that will accommodate the outdoor wedding of your dreams, be sure to get in touch with us here at the Crenshaw Guest House.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.