Thinking about holding an outdoor wedding of your own? Here at Crenshaw Guest House, we’ve hosted numerous outdoor weddings and thus have a solid understanding of the classic outdoor wedding planning mistakes to look out for.
We’ve compiled a list below of tips and strategies to make sure that your special day goes as smoothly as possible:
1. Choose matching décor- Make sure the decorations appropriately uphold the theme of your wedding. Since outdoor weddings rely so heavily on natural beauty, it can be easy to overlook the décor.
But don’t fall into this trap! Utilize evening lights and flowers to create an enchanting and romantic atmosphere, or burlap and mason jars for a more rustic vibe. Decorations impact how your wedding is perceived, so make sure you give them proper consideration.
2. Prepare for insects- Before holding an outdoor wedding, you need to recognize that you may be sharing the air with some uninvited guests. Take the appropriate measures to guard your party against any pesky flies or mosquitoes. Bring along citronella candles or a bug zapper to free your guests from the hassle of bug bites.
3. Plan Ahead- With an outdoor wedding, you’ll need a contingency plan. What if it rains? What if it’s windy? These are the questions you need to be asking yourself. Ideally, your outdoor wedding venue will have an indoor location close by. But if that’s not an option for you then consider having a tent on standby.
Another good idea is to look for a venue that offers lodging. Here at Crenshaw Guest House, we find that our brides and grooms appreciate having space to relax and prepare for their impending nuptials without needing to worry about transport. Time is of the essence on your wedding day, so don’t waste any of it sitting in traffic.
As for wind, you can make small adjustments to prevent any uncomfortable developments should wind overtake your wedding. Avoid light fabrics in your dresses, let your hairstylist know so your hair will avoid the windblown look, and make sure to let guests know so they may be as prepared as you are!
4. Think about the lighting- Soft lighting is the way to go with an outdoor wedding. Also, make sure to utilize sunlight to your best advantage. Do this by being aware of timing, and positioning their ceremony in such a way that the sun will be at guests’ backs rather than shining in their eyes.
5. Carefully select your dining options- Make sure to select a caterer with experience in outdoor weddings. With an outdoor wedding, you need to offer food that will survive heat and weather conditions. Dishes with mayonnaise or milk bases may turn out funky if left outside, so make sure to choose wisely.
The same principles apply to drinks! Be aware that it may be warm out, so don’t limit your guests to dehydrating alcoholic beverages. Provide plentiful options: water, juices, lemonades, and teas. For alcoholic drinks, try refreshing mixes such as daiquiris or margaritas.
The natural charm of an outdoor wedding promises a romantic and laid back ambiance that becomes a night to remember. There may be a little bit more planning involved, but we know it will be worth it! And if you’re in the Auburn, AL area, be sure to check out the Crenshaw Guest House. We accommodate weddings, receptions, and rehearsal dinners in a charming and elegant location, and have a number of rooms to allow for your convenience. Good luck with your wedding planning!
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.